Tuesday 8 April 2008

TV-less


Now that I have moved into my new apartment it is going to be another week before I have a TV to watch. For those that know me I am an avid watcher. I am not necessarily somebody who races home from work to watch an evening full of sitcoms. I am one of those guys who given, any spare time can watch the most mundane crap, but am way to unorganised to actually plan a night in. When I am out somewhere (maybe a pub) no matter what is on TV I have to glance up every few minutes to see what is happening. Could it be a factor being brought up in a TV generation? Truth be told I used to study and do my assignments with it on. In fact I reckon given the chance I would have a little box next to my computer at work playing the days trash if they let me (I haven't asked yet - but I have only been there a week).

Ok so maybe this is not really anything that anyone would find too challenging (especially as this is only my second night at home) but what I have come to realise is: When you do not have a purpose for it - surfing the net is as boring as fishing without bait. You know there is stuff out there. You know that there is lots of stuff out there. A lot of it interesting or comical to the the just plain stupid. Unless a direct link (the bait) is emailed to me from a friend there is absolutely no joy in searching on a whim. It probably doesn't surprise me that apart from this blog all I have done is downloaded new (and classic) TV shows that I can watch till my heart is content (Thank you http://www.watchtvsitcoms.com/).

Which got me thinking about something else. I am now wondering if my children (cough) my frinds children (cough cough) will see this in the same light or will replace my TV fascination with the Internet. I didn't really have any use for the internet except for school assignments, and this was much before the Facebook, myspace, youtube takeoff. But now you can buy a babies bottle with a browser on the side, well probably. I guess a point out of this is if the young kids now are going to be brought up this way, shouldn't there be some sort of licencing required for weirdo's that could possibly write a blog about any dribble they........ alas never mind my next episode of Heroes has finished downloading.

No comments: