Monday 18 February 2013

How to Plan a Wedding from afar


Well sort of. It goes without saying that I am the type of guy that doesn't plan a thing. And when I do it usually changes to something else along the way. When I dropped to one knee for the girl it was always my intention to mention the whole "let's head to Vegas this weekend" scenario (why else do you propose on a Thursday night? To catch the weekend special) I was fully aware that the girl is the total opposite to me in regards to the planning but you can never underestimate the power of a sparkling diamond ring. So I’ll try and break this experience down to a few little posts of their own.

The girl still has her Grandmothers around so it was apparent pretty early that the Vegas option was out, but I still hang on to the thought of what would have happened if longevity was not ripping through her family veins. So we pushed the date out a couple of years so the whole thing could be planned to the second.

The G-factor also led us to realising that an overseas wedding was out of the question. I thought that offering them a first class ticket would change the deal - I mean really, they would be more comfortable than in a nursing home, but the girl was not to be swayed. As such we decided that we would make it more convenient for ninety five percent of our guests and have the wedding in Australia. The first question everyone asked me was were we getting a wedding planner? Seriously? A wedding planner? Not only was that a terrible movie (probably) but J-Lo can't sing, can't act, although doesn't require a beanbag when sitting on the floor. No wedding planner. This led to the planning to fall squarely on our shoulders. Our shoulders are the collective for falling on the Girl's. The condition of this was that I had to find the cars, sort out the music and turn up sober enough to legally get married. 

So we picked a venue, some hotels for our guests to stay in, a celebrant and the photographer all blindly off the net. This could be a very interesting wedding…

No comments: