Wednesday 28 May 2008

Gatecrasher Line-up


I did see a number of artists over the weekend – and needless to say I probably cannot remember them all, however for anyone interested here are my grades of some of them.

Paul Oakenfold – Noted as one of the greatest Trance DJs of all time he produced a harder trance set than usual but worked though some good mixes. He threw in some samples from a few of his albums that I recognised (and had “Southern Sun” from Bunkka - one of my all time favourite tracks). The tent was rigged with the usual lasers, fireworks and giant screens that were used to full advantage. All in all a grand performance that I was impressed to be in attendance of. An A+ when comparing to any other act in the arena but by Oakies standard: A-

Alex Metric – He played a wicked beats set early on in the day that I am not usually a fan of. He kept the tempo consistent with the crowd and seemed to be enjoying himself immensely. Having never heard of him I was definitely impressed with his set enough to want to further investigate some of his work: B+

Chicane – They got started rather well but seemed to drag themselves into a repetitive slumber about midway through. They could of definitely done better in the playlist but I believe they were resting on the “live band experience” to pull them through: C

Paul Van Dyke – This was a hard one to judge as I caught the first and last parts of the set which I believed were rather good (prossibly worthy of an A). However others that saw the set as a whole tell me he went awol in the middle with some strange mixing. So on that basis have decided: B

DJ Yoda – On the name alone I was intrigued to see how this went but it was good to see that his mixing included not only the sound but was integrated into the visuals on screen. Maybe I was swayed by some of the Star Wars clips but it was very well done: B+

Prodigy – Having seen these guys about 10 years ago (and not remembering them to be impressive) I wasn’t jumping out of my shoes to catch them. The set itself was good but I can only imagine it hasn’t changed in the last 10 years: B-

Audio Bullies – These guys had a very English crowd there that annoyed the socks off me. I felt it was the same poxies that usually hit the drum and bass stages – although a bit more savage. The set was opened with “Shot you down” (the sampled Nancy Sinatra song) that went on for a little too long. It did get the crowd into it. Unfortunately that’s the same song they ended the set with and by that stage I was looking to be shot down: D

Chemical Brothers - Unfortunately due to the inclement weather the Chemical Brothers could not play on the main stage. Other bands were relocated to tents but due to CB’s popularity they were cancelled amid fears for peoples safety with overcrowding of tents: F

No comments: