Sunday 11 August 2013

The Vest


Before I came back to Saudi, I picked myself up a training weight vest. This was to increase my work rate for my morning jog / exercise. I would love to be able to increase my distance but that is not viable with the time available to me so I wear the vest to increase my workload - "feel the burn".

I had trialled it out in NYC with success. Not even half a look from passer-bys. That wasn't the same here in the camp. I jog around 3:30 or 4am dependent on distance, as it is a little too hot after work. The call to prayer at the moment is just before 4, so the punters are up and bleary eyed just after this. My first day drew a raft of funny looks from people that didn't really phase me, but maybe I should have thought about it a little more.

After I got back to my room I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. With the headphone wires sprawled out of the top of the vest, you can probably imagine what these guys where thinking as this white guy was running towards their Mosque. Fortunately I'm pretty friendly with the guards carrying the big guns, so they hopefully recognised me after a quick wave.

No comments: