Sunday 27 July 2008

The one with the annoying hangover

Following the epic day of ‘catching up’ with Hols and K, I had to take the girls on a sightseeing tour of London. Understandably after the previous night my head was running fire drills and stomach made me feel like a bulimic after eating a meat pie. I forced myself to get up and drink several litres of water, curiously wondering why I my thirst was so large - concluding I probably needed to drink more the previous night!

The day turned out to be the hottest this year for London – over 30 degrees, and while I had been waiting 6 months for such a day, was rather disappointed it occurred on a day much preferred on the couch nursing wounds caused from the previous night.

We set out from Wimbledon and the scummy feeling had no effect on Hols ability to spot the red buses “Argh – a red bus” she grumbled. Once on the tube we travelled on the District and Piccadilly lines that according to the girls contained 2 of the funnier stops of Barking and Cockfosters. Sore heads aside they erupted in giggles at both.

We began the walking at Piccadilly Circus and headed up to the Queens residence. Grabbing an ice cream on the way my stomach was twisting but held its nerve to keep it down. I proceeded to take the girls to my clock and Trafalgar Square. The fountains looked way too inviting that we decided to move on after a brief discussion whether or not I would get away with stripping down and wading. My argument (not well thought out) was that why are children allowed to meander naked in them while we sweat ourselves through the heat.

So I was dragged from my argument as we headed for the London Eye and a walk along the South Bank. The girls were surprised at the ‘street entertainers’ there (I use that term very loosely) and their ability to have no shame. We slowly progressed along the river up to Tower Bridge stopping at Bridget Jones place above the Globe for K’s enjoyment.

After London Tower we headed back to Putney for a well earned beverage. I g-pedometered the distance and it was almost 15kms. I also realised we could of done one of the get on / get off bus tours that would of stopped at every place we went. We ended up at the boat house on the river, met the girl and got a nice table outside. Hols continued to spot her buses.

I found great joy in watching what I can only describe as a ‘crazy lady’ interact with all the patrons outside of the pub. Not only was she talking to herself but everyone (and every object) around her. She had a table with a couple of chairs but yet wanted to stand. Because the place was packed everyone wanted a chair but she wouldn’t let up and kept them. Eventually she lost the lot when she went for another drink and I was forced to stop watching her as all 3 girls were scared she would come up and want to chat to us.

After a couple of hours it was getting late so we decided on some Mexican at Exquisito’s for dinner (and by ‘we’ decided I mean ‘I’ decided) which gave us an opportunity to fulfil Hols fantasy. A ride on a big red bus (I thought this might quell the bus spotting but as I later found out this was not the case). We had some rather tasty food and a fair bit of sangria before heading home. My hangover continued (possibly reoccurred) the next day but I would much rather have a hangover on the companies time when I am getting paid rather than on my own time.

No comments: