Saturday 15 August 2009

Thy One from Thee Globe

The Shakespeare's Globe has been around in old London town in its various forms for more years then I care to find out. A group of us went along for his most famous of tragedy - Romeo & Juliet.

We decided to get the £5 standing tickets to really experience the peasant life - which realistically would be my status back then. It was clear we were in the povo section when a woman fainted after standing there for too long. She was dragged to the side as the show carried on.

As the show got into it I noticed the lads playing the characters of Romeo and Tybalt were black. This was not in the least unusual, and they were were both rather good in the role (particularly Romeo), until the parents of Romeo came on stage with their skin as white as a ghost. Later on Juliet's description of him "Either my eyesight fails or thou look'st pale" pushed it a little further towards the edge. It took me to the end of the play, whether unintentionally or not, who did all the killing. Tybalt Kills Mercutio, Romeo kills Tybalt before killing himself. Three of the four deaths are the result of a black man.

I will leave you with my favourite quote: "Or I will drag thee on a hurdle thither. Out, you green-sickness carrion! out, you bag- gage! You tallow face!"

No comments: